"LYNTON, or Linton, 18 miles W. of Minehead, and N.E. by N. of Barnstaple, is one of the most fascinating villages on the north coast of Devon, picturesquely seated on a high hill immediately above the little seaport, fishing station, and delightful bathing place of LYNMOUTH, which lies on the shore of the Bristol Channel, at the feet of august rocky hills, . . . The parish of Lynton is subject to the port of Barnstaple and contains 1027 inhabitants and about 7000 acres of land including Lynmouth, Ilkerton, many scattered houses and a large tract of high moorland hills and wastes, . . . There are three good Inns at Lynton, and another at Lynmouth, where there are salt-water baths, a library, a fancy repository, a billiard room, and a small quay. Both villages have been much improved in the last twenty years, and they now contain many neat villas and commodious lodging houses for the numerous visitors who throng hither in summer, to enjoy the sea air and bathing, and the magnificant scenery of the neighbourhood. The rivers produce trout and salmon, and there is a herring fishery in the channel. The Rev. Thomas Roe is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the parish. The Church (St. Mary), has a tower and three bells, and was enlarged by the addition of two aisles in 1817 and 1833. The perpetual curacy, valued at £120, is united with that of Countesbury, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Barnstaple, and incumbency of the Rev. Matthew Mundy, M.A. . . The National School was established in 1818, and a new building was erected for it in 1844. A handsome Independent Chapel was built here in 1850, in the early English style, at the cost of about £400." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Shirlwell Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and Diocese of Exeter, 14 miles N.E. of Ilfracombe, which had 792 inhabitants in 1831. Acording to Peskett, Lynmouth chapel of ease was transferred to Countisbury in 1886.