Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Lynton 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

LYNTON

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]

"LYNTON, (or Linton), a parish and post town in the hundred of Sherwill, county Devon, 14 miles E. by N. of Ilfracombe, 20 miles from Barnstaple, and the same distance from Minehead. The village is situated on an eminence near the mouth of the river Lyn, over which is a bridge of one arch. It is a watering-place and fishing station under the cliffs of the Bristol Channel. There is a small pier erected by the lord of the manor. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in the coasting trade and in the fisheries. The principal articles of import are limestone, coal, and culm, and the exports bark and grain. Its varied scenery renders Linton a place of great attraction during the summer season, at which time the coaches run daily to Barnstaple, Taunton, Bridgwater, and Ilfracombe. The steam-packets from Bristol, Bideford, and the Cornish coast also touch here. Near the junction of the East and West Lyn rivers is the seaport of Linmouth, formerly a fishing-town of some consequence, but now possessing only about half-a-dozen fishing-boats. Both at Linton and Linmouth are numerous lodging-houses for the accommodation of visitors. The living is a perpetual curacy* united with that of Countesbury, in the diocese of Exeter, joint value £120. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, with a tower containing three bells. The church has been twice enlarged by the addition of aisles, in 1817 and again in 1833. A short distance from the church is the Valley of Rocks, a wild and rugged pass about 1 mile long and 300 feet in breadth, terminated by a cove or inlet. There is a National school, also a place of worship for the Independents. There are excellent baths and a library at Lynmouth. The lord of the manor holds a court leet and baron at Easter, when a portreeve, tythingman, and ale-taster are appointed. There is excellent trout-fishing in the river

"LINMOUTH, (or Lynmouth), a small port in the parish of Lynton, county Devon, under the cliffs at the river Lyn's mouth, on the Bristol Channel.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003