Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Lynton 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Lynton 1850

                            LYNTON


      From William White's Gazetteer & Directory of Devon 1850


      Transcribed by John Bishop

Slightly abridged, indicated  by..............., names in inverted commas 
after a person's name refer to houses or farms.
This type of bracket {} is a modern note.
This type of bracket () is in the original


18 miles West of Minehead ..............situated on a high hill immediately
above the little seaport, fishing station, and delightfull bathing place of 
Lynmouth........The parish of  Lynton is  subject to the port of Barnstaple
" contains 1027 inhabitants & about 7000 acres of land including
Lynmouth, Ilkerton, many scattered houses and a large tract of high
moorland hills & wastes, .....................
The rivers {East Lyn & West Lyn} produce Salmon & Trout, & there is a
herring fishery in the channel. {Bristol Channel}.
The Rev. Thomas Roe is lord of the manor & owner of a great part of the
parish. The church (St. Mary),has a tower & 3 bells, & was enlarged by the
addition of 2 isles in 1817 & 1833. The perpetual curacy, valued at £120.
is united with that of Countisbury, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of
Barnstaple & incumbency of  the Rev. Matthew Mundy M.A.The tithes have been
commuted for £274 per annum & belong with a glebe of 100 a. to the
Archdecon, but are held by a lessee. 
The "National School" was established in 1818. & a new building erected for
it in 1844. A handsome "Independent Chapel" was built here in 1850 in the
early English style at a cost of £400.  
(Marked * are at Lynmouth, and the rest at Lynton or where specified.) 

Barley, Chas .Esq.
* Bale, Eliz.                          Stocking Knitter.
Collard, Wlm.                          "Combe Park"
Cowell, Wm.  M.D.
Hayes, Rev. H.H.
Herries,  Major General Sir Wlm. L.,   K.C.H
*Hunter, Stephen,                       Coast Guard
Litson, J. surveyor & co.             "Croft House"
Mundy, Rev. Mattw M.A.                 Incumbent
*O'Neil, Mr. John        
Powell Rev. Edw. H.   BA.              Curate
*Rawdon Col. J. Dawson.                MP
Rendle, W.                             Plumber. ironmonger etc.
Robinson, Mr.
*Roe Rev. Thomas   (& Brendon)

LYNTON cont.
Roe, John C. Esq.                      "Woolhanger"  {farm name}
Sanford,  Mrs. Mary.                   "Lynton Cottage"
Slater, John.  corn miller
Toone, Mrs & Miss                Boarding school {MRS & MISS}
*Trix, Hy.                       Stationer, & bath & library owner
Westcott, George,                Saddler & co.

FARMERS  (+ = at Ilkerton)
Baker, James
Bromham, M.C.
Burnell, Wm.                    "Kibsworthy"
Challacombe, Wlm. 
Jones, Rd.
Jones, Wlm.
Latham, Wlm.
Pyle, James.                     "East Lyn"
+Squire, John
+Squire, Pp.
Turner, Wm.                      "West Lyn"
+Trapper, Thomas.
Vellaccott, Jas.
Ward, Richard.                   "West Lyn"

INNS & TAVERNS
Castle Hotel,                     Thomas Baker.
Crown Hotel,                      Wm. Crook
Globe Inn,                        David Hill
*Lyndale Hotel,                   Nicholas Jones. (Bathing machine owner)
Litson's Valley of Rocks Hotel.   N. Jones
*Rising Sun,                      John Boyle.

BAKERS
Greer,  George.
Heywood,  James

BEER SELLERS
Bale,  John
Heywood,  James  (& portr. & co..dir.)

BLACKSMITHS
Burnell,  John.
Burnell, Wlm.

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Allen, John
*Bale,Henry
Hooper, John
Hooper, Wm.
Lord, Joseph
Rawle, Wm.

BUILDERS
Crick, John
Jones, Nicholas.
Jones,  Robert


LYNTON cont.
BUTCHERS
Crick, John
Latham, Wm.

GROCERS
Fry, George.
*Heywood, Jas.
Latham, Wm.
Southwood, John.
Ward, Wm.

LODGINGS
Arnold, David
*Bevan, Thomas.
*Blackmoore, My
Branch, Edw.
Busby, Chas.
Catlin, Wlm.
Fry, Charles.
*Fry, Charlotte
*Fry,  H.
Geen, Thomas.           {not gReen}
*Geen,  T . jun.
Gill, Mary.
Jones, Mary Ann
Litson, John
*Litson, William        "Prospect House"
Richards, Wm.
Shute, Joseph.
Taylor, Mary

SHOPKEEPERS
*Apley, Fdk. G.
*Bale, Henry.
Blackmore, Wm.
*Corbett, Mary.

SURGEONS
Bencraft, Henry.
Clarke, John
Mansell, --------

POST OFFICE
At Mrs Maria Litson's. Letters via Minehead

OMNIBUS
Wm. Richards, to Barnstaple, Tuesday & Friday
Brian Randell, 10 Dec 2008