"MARLDON, a small village, 5 miles E.N.E. of Totnes, has in its parish 470 souls, and 2254 acres of land, including the village of Compton, a mile N. by W. of the church. Parkfield House is the pleasant seat of Francis Garrett, Esq., who owns a great part of the parish, and, a few years ago, purchased the ancient mansion called Compton Castle, now occupied by his gardener. This castellated house was the seat of Sir Maurice de la Pole, in the reign of Henry II., and it was afterwards held by the Comptons, Gilberts, and Templers. The manor of Stanton belongs to Chas. H. Mallock, Esq.; and Wm. Randell, Esq., and several smaller freeholders have estates here. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells, and the benefice is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Paignton. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Haytor Hundred, and a Peculiar of the Bishop of Exeter. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.