Open a form to report problems or contribute information
A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
MARLDON, a parish in the hundred of HAYTOR, county of DEVON, 5 miles (N. E. by E.) from Totness, containing 384 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Paington, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Exeter, and is in the patronage of Sir S. Northcote, G. Templar, Esq., and the Rev. J. Templar. The church has a rich stone screen. In the village of Compton are considerable ruins of an ancient castellated mansion, occupied by Sir Maurice de la Pole in the reign of Henry II.