[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"TAVY ST. MARY, a parish in the hundred of Lifton, county Devon, 4 miles N.E. of Tavistock, its post town. The village is situated on the road from Plymouth to Barnstaple, Dear the river Tavy, which rises at Cranmere Pool, under Okement Tor, in Dartmoor Forest, and flows 20 miles in a S.W. direction to the river Tamar, at Tamerton. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the Weal Friendship copper mine. A mineral called tungstate of lime has been found in this parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £224. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a staircase leading to a rood-loft. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. The Wesleyans have two chapels. There are National and Lancastrian schools."