Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Mary Tavy 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

MARY TAVY

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

Transcribed by Neil Stanton

TAVY ST. MARY, or Mary Tavy, a scattered village in the Tavy valley, and on the western side of Dartmoor, 4 miles N.E. by N. of Tavistock, is chiefly inhabited by miners. Its parish contains 1552 souls, and 4180 acres of land, including about 2100A. of open moorland; the village of Horndon; the high moorland district of Black Down, and, other parts of Dartmoor, where there are five valuable copper, tin, and lead mines, called Wheal, and North, South, and East Wheal Friendship; and Kingscott and Bedford. Wheal Friendship has been worked half a century, and is the most profitable in the neighbourhood, except one of those named at page 624. John Buller, Esq., is lord of the manor, owner of a great part of the soil, and patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £14.5s.7½d., and in 1831 at £260. The Rev. Anthony Buller is the incumbent, and has 30A. 1R. 10P. of glebe, and a small parsonage. The tithes were commuted in 1843, for £207. 10s. per annum. The Church is a small antique edifice, with a tower and three bells. Mrs. Carpenter and several smaller owners have estates in the parish, mostly freehold. The Bible Christians have one, and the Wesleyans two small chapels in the parish. The Church Land 2½A., is at Lidford. The National School was established in 1837. Marked 1 are at Black Down; and 2, at Horndon.

Arthur Richard, National Schoolmaster
1 Ball Richard, vict. Royal Standard
2 Ball Thomas, vict. New Inn
Buller Rev Anthony, M.A. Rectory
Mitchell John, vict. Buller's Arms

BOOT & SHOE MKRS.
Hooper Wm.
2 Newton Wm.
2 Rayment Agts.

CORN MILLERS.
Hoiles Charles
Virgus John

FARMERS
Arthur Jas. &Wm.
Axford John
Bennett Francis
Cole Elizbth.,John,
Saml.,Ths.,&Wm.
Daw Thos. & jun.
Doidge John
Down John
Floyd Richard
2 Floyd Wm.
Floyd John
Fuge Samuel
Goddard Messrs
Hill Henry
Lucas Thomas
Maddock Wm.& Jun
Maunder Jas.&Jph.
Maunder Wm.
Michell John
Nicholls Mary
Pearce Joseph
Perkins Christopher
Reddicliffe John
Rich David
Richards James
Squires Thomas
Williams Wm.
Willing John

MASONS.
1 Daw Wm.
Virgus John
MINE AGENTS.
Barratt Alexander
Harris James
Williams Wm.

SHOPKEEPERS.
1 Crews Arthur
1 Daw Wm.
1 Ferret John
1 Nail Jane
1 Richards James
Williams Wm.

TAILORS.
Gordon Wm.
Hurford John



Brian Randell, 2 Sep 2003