Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.
Open a form to report problems or contribute information
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"MARYSTOW, a parish in the hundred of Lifton, county Devon, 7 miles N.W. of Tavistock. Oakhampton is its post town. The village, which is of small extent, and irregularly built, is situated near the river Lyd. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture: There are two mines from which manganese has been procured, and a large limestone quarry. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £87, and the vicarial for £148. The living is a vicarage' with the curacy of Thrushelton annexed, in the diocese of Exeter, joint value £276. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a stone structure, with a tower containing six bells. The interior of-the church contains two stone stalls, an ancient font, and monuments to the Wyse family. The parochial charities produce about £219 per annum. Sydenham House, the ancient seat of the Wyse family, was erected in the early part of the 17th century, and was taken from the Royalists in 1645 by Colonel Holbourn."