"MEETH, near the confluence of the Torridge and Okement rivers, 3 miles N. by E. of Hatherleigh, is a scattered village and parish, containing 314 souls, and 2170 acres of land, in the manors of Meeth and Fryes Hele, the former of which belongs to R. Preston, Esq., and the latter to the Earl of Morley; but part of the soil belongs to the Acland, Mallett, Bowden, and Owen families. The Church (St. John,) is an ancient structure, with a tower, four bells, and a fine Saxon door-way. Among its monuments is a very handsome one, erected in 1818, in memory of the late Mrs. Lamb." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Shebbear Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
Apprentice Registers, Meeth 1803-40, Exeter, Devon FHS (2007). [Listing date, name of apprentice, sex, age, parents' details, residence and details of master.] [Names included in the overall index published as "Rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief" (CD 023).