[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"MEETH, a parish in the hundred of Shebbear, county Devon, 3 miles N. by E. of Hatherleigh, its post town, and 10 E. of Eggesford railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Torridge, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is dunland upon a subsoil of clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £221 108. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £237. The church, dedicated to St. John, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing four bells. The interior of the church contains several monuments, among which is one to Dr. Lempriere, the author of the "Classical Dictionary." The parochial charities produce about £5 5s. per annum, of which 108, goes to the rector for preaching a sermon. There is a school for both sexes, supported by the rector. Lord Morley and R. Preston are the joint lords of the manor."