Open a form to report problems or contribute information
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"MERTON, a parish in the hundred of Shebbear, county Devon, 6 miles S. of Great Torrington, its-post town, 5 N. by W. of Hatherleigh, and 13 from Eggesford station on the North Devon railway. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Muir, and is wholly agricultural. At a farm are the ruins of Potheridge House, the birth-place of General Monk, who rebuilt the mansion. The soil is clayey. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £365. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £388. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stone structure, with a tower containing four bells. The charities consist of a clothes club and 5s. per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held. The Bible Christians have a place of worship. Lord Clinton is lord of the manor."