Open a form to report problems or contribute information
A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
MERTON, a parish in the hundred of SHEBBEAR, county of DEVON, 5¾ miles (N. by W.) from Hatherleigh, containing 697 inhabitants. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £20. 15. 7½. Lord Clinton was patron in 1794. The church is dedicated to All Saints. Potheridge house, once the residence of the celebrated General Monk, who rebuilt it, was a noble structure, with a chapel attached, and some magnificent stables, which yet remain; the mansion is now occupied as a farm-house. Pipe and potters' clay exists in this parish.