"MOLLAND is an irregularly built village, at the foot and on the side of a bold acclivity, 7 miles E.N.E. of South Molton, and W. of Dulverton; and its large parish contains 550 souls, and 6168 acres of land, including about 2275 acres of open common and moorland, rising in lofty hills between and near the sources of the river Yeo and the Duns Brook, the latter of which divides it from Somersetshire. There is a copper mine here, but it has been closed during the last three years. Sir Robert George Throckmorton, Bart., owns nearly all the parish, and is lord of the manor of Molland Bottreaux, anciently held by the Bottreaux family, and afterwards by the Hungerfords, whose heiress carried it in marriage to a younger branch of the Courtenays, who were seated here till 1732, when their heiress brought it to the Throckmortons. The Bottreaux family and succeeding owners had a mansion and park at West Molland. The manor house of Molland Champeaux, or Champion, was long the seat of the Columbs, and afterwards of the Courtenays. These fine old mansions are now occupied by Messrs. James and John Quartly, who are noted for their fine breed of North Devon cattle, for which they have obtained many prizes. The parish has much fine grass land, suitable for breeding, though the soil is generally thin, and rests upon rock. The Church (St. Mary,) is a handsome structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower and four bells. It contains several neat monuments, belonging to the Courtenay and other families." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in South Molton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.