"MONKOKEHAMPTON is a parish and pleasant village to the east of the river Okement, 9 miles south-west from Eggesford station on the North Devon branch and about 7 north-west from Sampford Courtney on the main line of the London and South Western railway, 3 east-by-north from Hatherleigh and 8 north from Okehampton, in the Western division of the county, Black Torrington hundred, Hatherleigh petty sessional division, Okehampton union and county court district, rural deanery of Okehampton, archdeaconry of Totnes and diocese of Exeter. The church of All Saints is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style. . . . The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £90, with residence and 46 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Earl of Iddesleigh, and held since 1897 by the Rev. Jn. McGregor Ward M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, and late chaplain R.N. The Bible Christian chapel, erected at a cost of £300, and opened in January, 1897, will seat 120 persons. The charities are of £3 yearly value. Churchstile belongs to The Misses Risdon; Fursdon, to Mr. Tristram Vanstone, jun.; and Stafford Beer, to Mr. W. Risdon. John Smyth Smyth-Osbourne esq. of Ash, Iddesleigh, is lord of the manor. Ernest Joseph Oldham esq. of Strawbridge, Hatherleigh; Miss Osbourne, of Holme Down; Mr. William Hill; B. C. Cleave esq. of Crediton; and The Misses Risdon are the chief landowners. . . . The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,135 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £989; the population in 1901 was 157." [From: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1902]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter.