"MORETONHAMPSTEAD is a small market town, near the eastern confines of Dartmoor Forest, seated on a fertile and highly salubrious eminence, encompassed by lofty hills, and distant 12 miles W.S.W. of Exeter, 12 miles N.N.E. of Newton-Abbot, 12 miles N. of Ashburton, and 185 miles W.S.W. of London. Its parish had 1768 inhabitants in 1801, and 2037 in 1841, and comprises 7656A. of land, including the small hamlets of Daccombe, Sloncombe, and Houghton, many scattered farm houses &c., about 400 acres of wood, and several commons. . . It had foremerly a share of the woolen manufacture, which declined many years ago. The Earl of Devon is lord of the manor of Moreton; but there are three smaller manors in the parish, viz., High Hayne, belonging to J.N. Stevenson, Esq.; North Moor, belonging to G. Bray, Esq.; and Daccombe, or Dockham, held under the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, by the trustees of the late Rev. George Gregory. Wray Barton, a handsome Tudor mansion, is the seat of John Courtier, Esq., owner of the Wray estate, which has passed by heiresses and bequests, to the Chilverstone, Abbot, Wray, Laford, Corslet, and Southmead families. Part of the parish belongs to many small freeholders, but Daccombe is mostly copyhold. In 1335, Hugh de Courtenay obtained a charter for a market and two fairs here. The Market is still held on Saturday, and a new Market House and Shambles were built by the lord of the manor, in 1827. . . The Church (St. Andrew,) is a large ancient fabric, in the transition style, with a lofty tower, containing six bells, a clock and chimes. . . Here are chapels belonging to the Independents, Wesleyans, Baptists, and Unitarians. The old Presbyterian Chapel, which has long been held by Unitarians, was built in 1692, and enlarged in 1802. [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Moretonhampstead is a parish in Teignbridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the Dartmoor area.