A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
NEWTON-FERRERS, a parish in the hundred of ERMINGTON, county of DEVON, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Earl's Plympton, containing 719 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £41.12.1., and in the patronage of the Rev. John Yonge. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, contains three stone stalls. Here is an almshouse. The parish is bounded on the west by the sestuary of the Yealm, and the vicinity is remarkable for scenery of great beauty.