"NEWTON ST. PETROCK, 7 miles S.W. of Great Torrington is a village and parish, containing 261 souls and 1556 acres of land including West Hole, and several scattered farm houses, &c. L.W. Buck, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil, and the rest belongs to several smaller owners. The Church is a small antique structure, and the rectory, valued in K.B at £8. 5s. 9½d., and in 1831 at £277, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. F.D. Lempriere, of London." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Shebbear Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
Don Davis's blog on the Fishleigh/Fishley family contains extensive information relating to Abbots Bickington, Bulkworthy, Milton Damerel and Newton St Petrock.1756-1835]
Davis, Donald W. Diaspora: Descendant tracing in the digital age. Family Tree (Feb 2018) pp. 34-39 [Includes an account of family of Joseph Fishleigh of Newton Petrock]
Some notes on Devonshire families allied to Harington of Worden in Shebbear, viz Yeo of Heanton and Shebbear, Gay (probably the poets kindred), Somers of North Tawton, Brent of Newton St. Petrock and Shebbear, Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica N. S., 3, 1880, pp. 364-8. [Raymond: Includes 17-19th c. extracts from parish registers.]