[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"NEWTON ST. PETROCK, a parish in the hundred of Shebbear, county Devon, 8 miles S.W. of Great Torrington, its post town, and 11 from Bideford. It is a small agricultural village, situated on the river Torridge. The soil is of a clayey nature, with a subsoil of clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £151. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £220. The church, dedicated to St. Petrock, is a stone structure, with a tower containing three bells. L. W. Buck, Esq., is lord of the manor. There is a place of worship for Baptists."