NEWTON ST. PETROCK
From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
NEWTON ST. PETROCK, 7 miles S.W. of Great Torrington is a village and parish, containing 261 souls and 1556 acres of land including West Hole, and several scattered farm houses, &c. L. W. Buck, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil, and the rest belongs to several smaller owners. The Church is a small antique structure, and the rectory, valued in K.B at £8. 5s. 9½d., and in 1831 at £277, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. F. D. Lemprière, of London. The glebe is 70A. 3R. 31P. and the Parsonage is an old residence. The tithes were commuted in 1840, for £151 per annum. The poor have 2s. a year, left by John Beccles.
DIRECTORY - Rev. O. Z. O'Neill, curate, Rectory; Wm. Eyre, carpenter; Richard W. Cobbledick, miller; and John Blake, John Hall, Rt. Bean, Wm. Cobbledick, Jno. Fishley, John Gorvatt, Hugh Jeffery, Hugh King, Gideon Moor, Mills; John Osborne, Edw. Palmer, Rd. Quance, Thos. Reid, Wm. Saunders, Thos. Stapleton, John Tanton, Jas. Walters, and John Western, farmers.
Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999