"HUISH, (NORTH) is a small scattered village, picturesquely situated on the western aclivities of the Avon valley, 5 miles E. of Ivybridge, and 7 miles W.S.W. of Totnes. Its parish contains 483 souls, and 2662A. 2R. 27P. of land, including Lupridge, and part of Newhouse hamlet. The manor, formerly held by the Damarell, Trenchard, and other families, was purchased by Richard King, Esq., in 1786, and now belongs to Thomas King, Esq., of the Manor House, which has been modernised and improved. Wm. Bowden Esq., owns Norris, Coombe, and other estates ; and Blackhall is the handsome residence of Jas. Cornish, Esq., and has a stuccoed front and Doric portico. Boterford, now called Butterford, is a large mansion, formerly the seat of a family of its own name, and afterwards of the Strodes and Palks, the latter of whom rebuilt the mansion about 1790. It is now occupied, and belongs to the represenattives of the late T. Kingwell. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower, containing five bells, and crowned by a spire. . . . The rectory, valued in K.B. at £28. 18s. 10½d., is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Allen, B.A., who has a large and handsome residence, with beautiful grounds. The glebe is 74A. 3R. 35P., and the tithes were commuted in 1849 for £490 per annum. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Stanborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Avonwick, whose church was built in 1878, is split between the parishes of Diptford, South Brent, North Huish and Ugborough. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.