[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"NORTH HUISH, a parish in the hundred of Stanborough, county Devon, 5½ miles from Ivy Bridge, its post town and railway station, and 7 S.W. of Totnes. The village, which is small and wholly agricultural, is situated on the river Avon, which falls into Bigbury Bay. The soil is loamy, subsoil dunstone. Here is a meet for the South Devon harriers. There is good salmon and trout fishing in the Avon, though but a small stream. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £550. The church is a stone edifice. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. Thomas King, Esq., is lord of the manor.