Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for North Huish 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

NORTH HUISH

Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

HUISH, (NORTH) is a small scattered village, picturesquely situated on the western aclivities of the Avon valley, 5 miles E. of Ivybridge, and 7 miles W.S.W. of Totnes. Its parish contains 483 souls, and 2662A. 2R. 27P. of land, including Lupridge, and part of Newhouse hamlet. The manor, formerly held by the Damarell, Trenchard, and other families, was purchased by Richard King, Esq., in 1786, and now belongs to Thomas King, Esq., of the Manor House, which has been modernised and improved. Wm. Bowden Esq., owns Norris, Coombe, and other estates ; and Blackhall is the handsome residence of Jas. Cornish, Esq., and has a stuccoed front and Doric portico. Boterford, now called Butterford, is a large mansion, formerly the seat of a family of its own name, and afterwards of the Strodes and Palks, the latter of whom rebuilt the mansion about 1790. It is now occupied, and belongs to the represenattives of the late T. Kingwell. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower, containing five bells, and crowned by a spire. It is in the decorated style, and was renovated in 1845, when a fine east window was inserted, and a beautiful altar screen erected. The west gallery and small organ were erected in 1848, and all the windows are modern insertions, except that at the west end. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £28. 18s. 10½d., is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Allen, B.A., who has a large and handsome residence, with beautiful grounds. The glebe is 74A. 3R. 35P., and the tithes were commuted in 1849 for £490 per annum. The rector contributed liberally towards the repairs and beautification of the church, and is the chief supporter of the National School, erected in 1846, in the Elizabethan style, at the cost of £170. Four acres of land, let for £5. 10s., and the Church-house, let for £7. 10s., have been long vested for the relief of the poor.

DIRECTORY

Allen Rev John, B.A. Rectory
Bowden Wm., Esq. Coombe
Cornish Jas., Esq. Blackhall
Horswill Samuel, shoemaker
King Thomas, Esq. Manor House
Parker John, schoolmaster
Squires George, wheelwright
Tucker James, tailor

FARMERS.

Andrews Robert E. Bradley
Andrews Wm. Wheeldown
Bowden Henry, Norris
Bowden Thomas, Bickham
Chapple Thomas
Cole Roger, miller, Butterford
Harris John
Hill Wm.
Hodges Peter, Colemore
Jonas Thomas
Jourdan Wm.
Luscombe John
Wakeham Richd.
Wakeham Thos.
Yabsley George, Whatcombe