[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"NORTH PETHERWIN, a parish in the hundred of Black Torrington, county Devon, 5 miles N.W. of Launceston, its post town. The village, which is of considerable extent, situated on a branch of the river Tamar, and is wholly agricultural. The glebe comprises 150 acres. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £135. The church, dedicated to St. Paternus, has a square tower. The interior of the church contains several monuments to the Herring family. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans and Reformed Wesleyans have two places of worship each, and Bible Christians one.