"NORTH TAWTON, a small ancient town, pleasantly situated on the east side of the Taw valley, 6½ miles N.E. of Okehampton, and 10 miles W. of Crediton, has in its parish 1728 inhabitants, and about 5350 acres of land, exclusive of Ilton Moor and Stone Moor, now being enclosed and cultivated. . . . In the town is a large tan yard and a woollen factory, the latter of which has been employed in the manufacture of serges, &c., from a very early period. Most of the modern brick and slated houses occupy the sites of old cob, buildings, which were burnt down in the last 30 years. . . . The Hon. Newton Fellowes is now lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the parish, and the rest belongs to the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle, and several smaller owners. Ashridge House is the seat of Wm. Orchard, Esq.; Crook Burnell, alias Stone, belongs to the Stuart family; and Nicholls Nymet belongs to John Wreford, Esq. . . . The Church (St. Peter,) is an ancient structure, with a tower containing six bells, and crowned by a wooden spire. . . in the incumbency of the Rev. G. Hole, B.C.L., of Chulmleigh. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in North Tawton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter. The registers include entries for Broad Nymet.