Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for North Tawton 1878

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

NORTH TAWTON

From William White's "History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Devon", 1878-9

Transcribed by Caroline <tilburycm <AT> netscape.net>

NORTH TAWTON ... a parish and small ancient town, pleasantly situated on the east side of the Taw Valley, 6¸ miles N.E. of Okehampton, and 10 miles W. of Crediton, is in Okehampton union, county court district and rural deanery, South Molton petty sessional division, North Tawton hundred, and Totnes archdeaconry. It had 2081 inhabitants in 1871, and comprises 5814 acres of land. In the parish is a station on the North Devon Railway.

It was anciently a market ... [see 1850 above] Here are three annual fairs, on the third Tuesdays in April and December, and the second Tuesday in October.

In the town is a large tan yard and a woollen factory, the latter of which has been employed in the manufacture of serges, &c., from a very early period. Most of the modern brick and slated houses occupy the sites of old thatched cob buildings, which were burnt down during the last 50 years. The manor was an ancient demeane of the Crown, and was held successively by the Valletort, Champernowne, St. Leger, and Fellowes families, the latter of whom purchased it in 1718. The Earl of Portsmouth is now lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the parish, and the rest belongs to the Hon. Marke Rolls, and several smaller owners. Crook Burnell, alias Stone, belongs to the Sturt family. Near the church is a moated site, supposed to have been the ancient seat of the Valletorts.

PETTY SESSIONS are held at the Market House bi-monthly by the South Molton magistrates.

THE CHURCH (St. Peter) is an ancient structure, with a tower containing six bells. The Register dates from 1538. The living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £32 4s. 7d., and 1831 at £884, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. R. Hole, B.C.L., who has a good residence in the Elizabethan style.

The BIBLE CHRISTIANS, and PLYMOUTH BRETHREN have small chapels here. The church lands and cottages are let for about £28 a year. The Free School was endowed in 1746 by the Rev. Richard Hole, with a house and 10 acres of land at West Newton.

The SCHOOL BOARD, which was formed in 1872, consists of the Rev. Robert Hole (chairman), and Messrs. Willam Salter (vice-chairman), John Pedder, John Shillson, and Hugh Pyke. Schools, accommodating 200 children, were built in 1874, at a cost of £1800.

NORTH TAWTON MIDDLE CLASS SCHOOL, a handsome building adjoining the rectory house, was erected in 1863, on a site given by the Earl of Portsmouth, at a cost of £1000, raised by subscription, his lordship contributing £500. The poor have about 26s. 8d. yearly from the gifts of Christopher Kelland and Edmund Rowland.

POST, MONEY ORDER, AND TELEGRAPH OFFICE AND SAVINGS BANK at Mr. Frank Skinner's. Letters are received from London, Bristol, Exeter, &c., at 5.9 a.m., and despatched at 8.6 p.m. Second delivery at 3 p.m. Box closes at 7.55 p.m.

Name Profession
ATWELL Samuel baker
BAKER Robt. farmer, Nicholls Nymett
BANBERY Bros. (Frank, Richard & William), builders & contractors
BANBERY Mrs. Eliza dressmaker
BANBERY Mrs. Maria grocer
BICKHAM William farmer, Park terrace
BLIGHT Mrs. Francis stationer
BORN Christopher farmer, Beer
BOWDEN John boot & shoe maker
BOWDEN Thomas boot & shoe maker
BRADLEY John blacksmith
BREALEY John shopkeeper & coaldealer
BREALEY Richard Knight wheelwright
BREALEY William wheelwright & carpenter
BROCK John farmer, Lower Stone
BROOKS Thomas dairyman
BROWN Mr. John Nicholls Nymett house
BUDD Christian M.D., J.P. surgeon
BULLEID Miss Amelia grocer
BULLEID William farmer
CANN Robert tailor & woollen draper
CAREY Albert & Mrs. Marian Board school teachers
CARTER George supervisor, Inland Revenue Office
CHAPPLE John land surveyor & agent to Sun Insurance Co., Court green
COCKWELL Mr. Thomas  
COLE Abraham farmer, Greenslade
COLLINS Mrs. Mary Park terrace
CONSTABLE Lady Talbot Ashbridge house
CURRY Albert secretary, Gas Company
DART Thomas farmer
DART William farmer, Bridge
DART William farmer, North Week
DAVEY John butcher, grocer & wool buyer
DAY Lewis William confectioner & mineral water manufacturer
DAY Samuel blacksmith
DAY William blacksmith
DAYMENT Henry farmer, Week
DEANS John M.R.C.S., L.S.A. surgeon, Broad b[h]_ll
DENSHAM Mrs. Mary  
Devon Constabulary SHERIFF John, police sergeant
DINGLEY, Pearse & Co. (see Okehampton Branch Bank)
DRAKE Miss Bessie Berlin wool dealer
DRAKE Mrs. Francis ladies' day school
DRAKE Francis Dunning road surveyor
DRAKE Thomas victualler "White Hart"
DURANT John corn, seed, wine & spirit merchant;& steam thrashing machine owner
ELLIS Mrs. Amelia dressmaker
ELLIS John mason, Park place
ELLIS Samuel jnr. mason
ELLIS Thomas builder & sexton
ELLIS Mr. William  
FISHER Samuel maltster & victualler "Ring of Bells"
FORD William road contractor
FRENCH William head master, Middle Class school
FULFORD Robert & Son (George) solicitors, commissioners to administer oaths in all courts, perpetual commissioners, agents for West of England Insurance Co. & clerks to magistrates of Hatherleigh division
Gas Company GOSS Edward, secretary
GERMAN Robert victualler "Gostwyck" commercial & family hotel & posting house
GIBBINGS HENRY linen & woollen draper, & grocer
GIBBINGS John Durant butcher, farmer & cattle dealer
GIBBINGS John Henson farmer, Week
GOWMAN Thomas horse & carriage letter
GRIBBLE Samuel station master
HARDING William boot & shoe maker
HARVEY William butcher
HATTON Robert Hemmingway Inland Revenue officer, Park terrace
HAWKINS John tailor & haircutter
HAWKINS William baker, & victualler "Fountain"
HAYWARD Miss Alice Infant Board school mistress
HEARN Mrs. Ann shopkeeper
HEATH William grocer & provision dealer
HILL & PYKE auctioneers
HOLE John farmer, Crooke
HOLE Rev. Robert B.A., J.P. rector
HOOPER Richard farmer
Inland Revenue Office CARTER George, supervisor
KNAPMAN George baker
KNAPMAN William farmer
LEA George farmer, Slade
LE[A] James boot & shoe maker
LETHEREN Richard linen & woollen draper, grocer, & agent for Clerical, Medical & General Insurance Co.
LETHEREN Robert farmer
LEWIS Frederick dairyman & agent to L. & S.W. Railway Co.
LINSCOTT William tailor, draper, & agent for Prudential Assurance Co.
LUXTON Henry farmer, Bath Barton
MANSFIELD Edward shopkeeper
MARTIN William chimney sweeper & marine store dealer
MAY George Hall farmer, Westacott
Middle Class School FRENCH William, head master
MOORE Thomas & Son masons
National Provincial Bank branch; open on Thursdays & fair days (draw on head office, London)
NORTHCOTT John victualler "Globe Inn"
Okehampton Branch Bank (Dingley, Pearse & Co.), open on Thursdays & fair days (draw on City Bank)
OSBORN John blacksmith, Paffords
OSBORN Philip saddler & harness maker
OSBORN William blacksmith
PADDON Thomas corn & seed merchant, & mail contractor
PERKINS James builder
PHILLIPS HENRY woollen salesman
PIKE John clock cleaner
PLUMBEY Robert grocer
POTTER John farmer & victualler "Railway Hotel"
PYKE Hugh registrar of births & deaths, accountant, parish clerk, & agent for Norwich Union Insurance Co.
PYKE John Ellis accountant & deputy registrar, secretary to Water Co., & agent for Royal Farmers' Insurance Co.
PYKE Samuel boot & shoe maker
Railway (L. & S.W.) HILLARD George, stationmaster
RATTENBURY Miss Charity dressmaker, Park terrace
RATTENBURY Mrs. Charity Park terrace
RAY John dairyman
RAYMONT Samuel farmer, Halse
RYAN Mrs. Mary confectioner
SALTER William farmer, Barton
SAMPSON John carpenter
SAMPSON William carpenter
SHERIFF John police sergeant
SKINNER Frank grocer, druggist, stamp distributor & postmaster
SLOMAN John farmer, Stadden
SNELL William farmer, Broad Nymet
Stamp Office SKINNER Frederick, distributor
STONEMAN George marine store dealer
STONEMAN Thomas tailor & shopkeeper
STONEMAN Thomas victualler "Bridge Inn"
STRONG William farmer, Yeo
TAMLIN Mrs. Susannah grocer & draper
TAMLIN Thomas plumber, glazier & ironmonger
TAVERNER James Camble miller & farmer, Newland mills
TAYLOR Rev. [__] (Congregational)
TAYLOR Joseph shoemaker
TAYLOR Launcelott boot & shoe dep't
TAYLOR Mrs. Mary Ann farmer, North Tawton wood
TAYLOR Philip shopkeeper
TAYLOR William mason
THOMPSON Mr. Thomas Ashridge house
THOMAS William John ironmonger (Tues. Thurs. & Fri.) & Okehampton
TURNER John thatcher
VICARY Fulford serge manufacturer residence: Bouchier's hill
VILVEN George tailor & woollen draper
VOOGHT John farmer, Sandford
VUGLER John boot & shoe maker
WARD, CANN & Co. manure & general merchants, Railway station
Water Co. PYKE John E. secretary
WEBBER Willim tailor
WHITE James mason
WILLCOCKS Miss E[l]iza
WILLCOCKS Richard shopkeeper & pork butcher
WILLCOCKS Samuel saddler & harness maker
WILLIAMS Mrs. Sarah Park terrace
WREFORD Misses Mary & Susan Park terrace

BROAD NYMET

"... on one of the tributary streams of the river Taw, 8¸ miles W. of Crediton, was formerly a civil and ecclesiastical parish, but is now united to North Tawton for civil purposes, and to Bow for ecclesiastical purposes. The living is a sinecure rectory - valued in K.B. at £2 4s. 2d., and in 1821 at £58 - in the same patronage and incumbency as Bow, or Nymet-Tracey. The manor anciently belonged to the family of De Brode Nymet, and is now nearly all in one farm, belonging to Mr. R. Prickman, and occupied by Mr. Will Snell."