Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for North Tawton 1893

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

NORTH TAWTON

From Kelly's Directory of Devon, 1893

Transcribed by Caroline <tilburycm <AT> netscape.net>

NORTH TAWTON ... is a small market town and parish near the old road from Exter to Okehampton, and on the river Taw, which is here crossed by a bridge of four arches, leading to Hatherleigh and Okehampton ... Water was conveyed into the town from Slade Farm, through iron pipes, in the year 1851, at an expense of £600, raised in shares of £5 each. Gas works were erected in 1869, at a cost of £750, and are the property of a company.

The church of St. Peter is an ancient building of rubble and granite, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower with shingled broach spire, containing a clock, dated 1640, and 6 bells, recast in 1865-70 from a previous peal of four; the tower is of rubble, withe walls of great thickness, and is probably Early English work; the roof of the nave is of panelled oak, the wall plate and bosses beng elegantly carved; there are stained windows at the east end of each aisle, and one in the south to John Chapple (d. 1879) and Lovedy his wife (d. 1858); in the north aisle is a memorial window, with an inscription on brass below it to Sir Edward Gostwyck bart. (d. 1766), and Loveday (Gostwyck), his wife (d. 1786); and to Josias Gard (d. 1825), erected in 1869 by Agnes (Gostwyck), wife of Josiah Gard; she died December 9th, 1870; there is another window in the south aisle with similar inscription to John Kelland Durant (d. 1877), and Sarah Luccombe, his wife (d. 1836); in May 1893 a memorial window was erected by Mr. John Jackman of Welling, Kent, a native of this town, to members of his family, and there are fragments of ancient stained glass in the windows of the north aisle; on the north side of the church is a lime-tree avenue, terminating with a lych gate; there is also a sun-dial fixed on the south wall of the tower; the church affords 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. ... petty sessions are held here alternately with Chulmleigh.

A clock tower of red brick with freestone dressings, from designs by Mr. R. Medley Fulford, architect, of Exeter, was erected in the square by public subscription in 1887, at a cost of £130. Here are large woollen mills, a branch factory belonging to Messrs. J. Shaw and Sons Limited, of Halifax, enlarged in 1887, and employing about 150 persons in the manufacture of blankets and serges; here also are Mr. J. C. Tavener's flour mills. ... Fairs for cattle and horses are held on the 3rd Tuesday in April, 2nd Tuesdy in October and 1st Tuesday in December, and great markets are held on the last Thursdays in February & June, and first Thursday in August. On the hill overlooking the town is a wooden house brought from Norway, belonging to Mrs. Vicary of Enmore, near Bridgwater and now in the occupation of Lieut.-General William Gordon. About a mile from the town is a hollow in the ground called "Bathe Pool", usually dry, but which occasionally fills with water and overflows. ... Near the church is a moated site called Court Green, supposed to have been the ancient seat of the Valletorts. ... The soil is various; subsoil, principally red sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and roots. The area is 5,784 acres, rateable value, £8,748: the population in 1891 was 1,737.

Parish Clerk: PYKE Hugh

Postmaster: SKINNER Frank

County Magistrates for South Molton (petty sessions):
   BUDD Francis Nonus, esq., North Tawton
   DUNNING Major Richard Horwood, Lapford, Morchard Bishop
   HOLE Rev. Robert B.A., Rectory, North Tawton
   TANNER Rev. John Vowler B.A., D.L., Rectory, Chawleigh, Chulmleigh
Acting Clerk
FULFORD George Langdon

County Police Station
   KEMBLE Sergeant William, in charge

Public Officers
FULFORD George L.
   Clerk to Commissioners of Taxes
HISLOP Patrick Wood M.B., C.M.
   Certifying Factory Surgeon, Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator,
   North Tawton District, Okehampton Union
PYKE Hugh
   Registrar of Births & Deaths for North Tawton Sub-district
PYKE John Ellis
   Deputy Registrar
RODD Handescombe
   Inland Revenue Officer

Schools
'Middle Class' School (built 1863):
   HOLE Rev. Robert B.A. (committee chairman)
   LOVESEY Charles George (head master)
   GIBBINGS William Durant (hon. sec.)
School Board:
   GOSS Edward (clerk)
   RATTENBURY Hugh, North Tawton (attendance officer)
Board School (boys & girls) (built 1875):
   PIERCE James Chanter (master)
   PIERCE Sarah Louisa (mistress)
Board School (infants) (acquired 1875):
   NEWMAN Annie (mistress)

Railway Station:
   RISBRIDGER George (station master)
South Western Railway Co. agents:
   Lewis & Son
Carriers:
   WEEKES (Hatherleigh to Exeter Thurs., return Sat.)
   BALL (Hatherleigh to North Tawton station daily)

Private Residents  
BUDD Francis Nonus J.P.  
COCKWELL Thomas  
FARRANT Mark Nicholls Nymet
FULFORD Mrs. Holmes  
GORDON Lt.-Gen. Wm. C.I.E. Bouchiers hill
HISLOP Pat'k Wood M.B., C.M. Essington Park
HOLE Rev. Robert B.A., J.P. Rectory
ISAAC Mrs. Tennis court
LETHEREN Richard Tennis court
LETHEREN Robert The Square
LOVESEY Charles George head master, North Tawton school
NORTHCOTT Miss Melhuishes
PADMAN Miss Park terrace
PHILLIPS Henry Court green
PRICKMAN Richard Dunning, Broad Nymet (Letters should be addressed Bow R.S.O.)
RAYMONT Miss High street
SKINNER William C.A. Broad Nymet (Letters should be addressed Bow R.S.O.)
TAYLOR Rev. Thomas Henry (Congregational)
TUCKER Samuel James Exeter street
WILLIAMS Henry Clissold Ashridge
WREFORD Miss Park terrace
   
Banks  
Devon & Cornwall Banking Co. Ltd. (sub-branch of)
   (open on thursdays & fair days) draw on Barclay, Bevan, Tritton, Ransom, Bouverie & Co. London EC
Dingley, Pearse & Co. (Okehampton Bank) (sub-branch)
   open thursdays & fair days only; draw on City Bank Ltd. London EC
National Provincial Bank of England Ltd. (sub-branch of)
   open on thursdays & fair days; draw on head office, 112 Bishopsgate within, London EC
   
Commercial  
ANSTEY Harry "White Hart" inn
ATTWELL Samuel baker
BAKER Robert farmer, Nicholls Nymet
BANBERY Bessie (Miss) shopkeeper
BANBERY Frank builder
BASTOW Louisa (Miss) dress maker
BENNETT William shopkeeper
BICKHAM William Davis farmer, Park terrace
BOLT Richard shopkeeper
BOWDEN John & William shoe makers
BOWDEN Thomas shoe maker
BRADLEY John & Son blacksmiths
BROOKS Elizabeth (Mrs.) farmer, Week
CANN Robert Davy tailor & draper
CURRY Henry "Gostwyck Arms" public house
DART William farmer, Bridge
DAW Thomas farmer, Greenslade
   (letters should be addressed Sampford Courtenay R.S.O.)
DAY Lewis William aerated water manufacturer
DAY Samuel blacksmith
DREW Mary & Susanna (Misses) stationers & fancy repository
DURANT & Sons seed growers & wine & spirit merchants
ELLIS Samuel mason & road contractor
ELLIS Thomas mason & sexton
EVANS Samuel butcher
FILDEW William Henry temperance hotel, & confectioner
FOLLAND Joseph boot manufacturer, & Prudential agent
FOLLAND Thomas farmer, Ashridge
FORD William road contractor
FULFORD George Langdon solicitor, commissioner for oaths, clerk to the commissioners of taxes & to the school board at Sampford Courtenay, & acting clerk to magistrates, North Tawton district; & at Okehampton
GIBBINGS Jn. Henson & Son farmers, Week
GIBBINGS John Durant coal dealer
GIBSON John farmer, Beere
GORWYN William Lambert farmer, Halse
GOSS Edward accountant & clerk to the school board, & agent for Liverpool, London & Globe, & Economic Life, & for the Ocean Accident Co.
HANNAFORD Samuel farmer, Slade
HARVEY William "Ring of Bells" public house
HEATH William shopkeeper
HEATH William John lessee of market
HIRST William branch manager to John Shaw & Son Ltd., woollen manufacturers
HISLOP Patrick W., M.B. C.M. surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator North Tawton district, Okehampton union, & certifying factory surgeon
HOOPER Charles butcher, The Square
HOOPER William coal dealer
HOPKINS Henry "Fountain" inn
KNAPMAN George baker
KNAPMAN William dairyman
LANE William teacher of music; organist of the parish church
LEE James shoe maker
LETHEREN Charley grocer & draper
LEWIS & Son carriers & agents for the London & South Western Railway Co.
LOVELL William blacksmith, Safford
MADGE Philip & Sons butchers, High street
MANNING Thomas George ironmonger
MANSFIELD Edward shopkeeper
MARTIN William chimney sweeper
MAY Ernest farmer, Crooke
MAY George Hall farmer, Westacott
METHERELL Joseph relieving & vaccination officer for North Tawton district, Okehampton union
MILLMAN John Prudential agent, Exeter street
OSBORN Philip harness maker & ironmonger
OSBORN William blacksmith
PADDON Thomas wool dealer
PHILLIPS & Son devon serge warehouse
PILLMAN Jonas lessee of fair tolls
POTTER Harriet (Mrs.) "Railway" inn
PYKE, HORNE & POWLESLAND auctioneers; & at Bow R.S.O. & Hatherleigh
PYKE John draper
PYKE Hugh registrar of births & deaths for North Tawton sub-district, assistant overseer & collector of taxes, & agent for Norwich Union
PYKE John Ellis deputy registrat of births & deaths for North Tawton sub-district
RATTENBURY Hugh school attendance officer, & shopkeeper
RAY William Folland dairyman
REDDAWAY James farmer, Bathe
RODD Handescombe inland revenue officer, Park terrace
SAUNDERS Samuel John butcher
SEARLE Samuel farmer, Lower stone
SHAW John & Sons Ltd. woollen manufacturers (William HIRST, branch manager) head office, Halifax, Yorkshire
SKINNER Frank grocer, chemist, Post office
SLOMAN William farmer, Staddon
SNELL William farmer, Broad Nymet
   (letters should be addressed Bow R.S.O.)
SQUIRE Martha (Mrs.) boot dealer & news agent
TAMLIN Susanna (Mrs.) draper & grocer
TAMLIN Thomas ironmonger
TAVERNER James Camble miller (water & steam), Newland mills
TAYLOR Elizabeth (Mrs.) ladies' school
TAYLOR John basket maker
TAYLOR John jun. chimney sweeper
TAYLOR Mary Ann & Son farmers, Tawton wood
TAYLOR Samuel shoe maker
TAYLOR William mason
TAYLOR William thatcher
TILLER Elizabeth (Mrs.) shopkeeper
TURNER John thatcher
VANSTONE George colt trainer
VILVEN & Son tailors
VOOGHT John farmer, Sandford
WALDEN & CLARE drapers, tailors & outfitters
WARE William posting house & temperance hotel
WARD & Co. coal & general merchants, Railway station (branch)
WAY Frances (Mrs.) shopkeeper
WEBBER George farmer, Yeo
WILLCOCKS Jane (Mrs.) "Globe" inn
WILLCOCKS John baker
WILLCOCKS John jun. wheelwright & carpenter
WILLS John farmer, Barton

Other
Constitutional Club
   John Ellis PYKE, hon. sec.
Gas Co.
   James Chanter PIERCE, sec.
North Tawton Co-operative Society Limited
   Tom O. BENNETT, sec.
North Tawton School
   Charles George LOVESEY, head master
   William Durant GIBBINGS, hon. sec.
Reading & Recreation Rooms
   Charles LETHEREN, sec.
Water Co.
   Hugh PYKE, sec.