"NORTHLEIGH is a parish consisting of a few scattered houses, 4 miles south-east from Honiton station on the main line of the London and South Western railway, and 20 east from Exeter, in the Eastern division of the county, Colyton hundred, Honiton petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Dunkeswell and Honiton, and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter. The church of St. Giles is a building of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style . . . in 1869 the church was new roofed and the nave and tower restored; the latter at the cost of the late Sir Edmund S. Prideaux bart.; there is a memorial window to the Rev. H. P. Daniell, a former rector, erected by his daughter, Miss M. F. Daniell, and a marble tablet in the north aisle to Robert Underdown esq. formerly of this parish, d. 2 April, 1811: the font is Norman. There are 150 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1700; marriages, 1708; burials, 1697. . . . The crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 1,172 acres; rateable value, £1,208; the population in 1891 was 190 in the civil and 180 in the ecclesiastical parish, and 172 in the civil parish in 1901." [From: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1902]
A parish in Colyton Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.