[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"OAKFORD, a parish in the hundred of Witheridge, county Devon, 8 miles N.W. of Tiverton, its post town, and 3 S.W. of Bampton. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the road from Bampton to South-Molton, near the Eske, a branch of the river Ex. It is chiefly agricultural. The soil is of a clayey nature, with a subsoil of rock. Stone for building is quarried. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £425, and the glebe consists of 90 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter, value £384. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a square embattled and pinnacled tower, containing a peal of eight bells. The church was rebuilt in 1839. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum."