"OFFWELL, a village and parish on the hills, 2½ miles E.S.E. of Honiton, near the source of a rivulet, has 438 inhabitants and 2206 acres of land. It includes part of Wilmington village, which is partly in Widworthy parish. . . . The parish now belongs to Sir. E.M. Elton, Sir E.S. Prideaux, Lord Ashburton, the heirs of the late Bishop of Llandaff, and a few smaller freeholders. West Colwell estate was purchased about 30 years ago, by the late Rt. Rev. Edward Copleston, D.D., who was enthroned Bishop of Llandaff, in 1828, and had a seat here. called Offwell House. He died in 1849, and was patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £14. 3s. 6½d., and in 1831 at £380. The Rev. J.G. Coplestone, M.A., is the incumbent, and has 80A. of glebe, and a large and handsome Rectory House, in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1845, at the cost of about £1800. . . . An ornamental tower, on Honiton hill, in this parish, was built by the late Bishop of Llandaff, in 1843, and commands extensive prospects. The Church (St. Mary,) has a tower and five bells, and is of the age of the 15th century. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Colyton Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.