[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"OFFWELL, a parish in the hundred of Colyton, county Devon, 2½ miles S.E. of Honiton, its post town, and 12 from the Collumpton railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The soil is of a clayey and stony nature. On Honiton Hill is a tower erected at the expense of Dr. Coplestone, the late Bishop of Llandaff, who was born in this parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £347. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a stone structure with a tower containing five bells. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. There is a National school with a small endowment, in which a Sunday-school is also held. Offwell House is the principal residence."