"OKEHAMPTON, or Oakhampton, is a small but busy market town, and ancient borough, which gives name to a large union, deanery, and polling and county court districts; and is picturesquely sited near the northern extremity of Dartmoor Forest, in the valley of the river Okement, . . . The town is on the high road from Falmouth to Exeter, 22 miles W. by N. of the latter . . . . Its large parish had 1430 inhabitants in 1801, 2055 in 1831, and 2194 in 1841, and extends over 9552 acres of land, including the scattered hamlets of Chicecott, Brightley, Lower Fatherford, Meldon, and KIGBEAR, the latter of which includes Southcott, Maddaford, Nethercott, and Croft farms &c., and comprises about 1460 acres, all in Black Torrington Hundred. The parish extends several miles around the town, and includes several large commons and moorland tracts, containing slate, limestone, and granite. . . . The parish now belongs to A.B. Savile, J.M. Woollcombe, H. Hawkes, J.C. Luxmoore, and Jas. Crotch, Esqrs.; the Rev. C.T.C. Luxmoore, Sir R.R. Vyvyan, and many smaller owners. . . . The Parish Church (All Saints,) stands on a bold eminence, nearly half a mile west of the town, and was destroyed by fire, except the tower, on the 13th Feb., 1842. . . . The Rev. J. Downall, M.A. is the incumbent . . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A market town and parish partly in Lifton Hundred and partly in Black Torrington Hundred (according to Wilcox's 'Parish Registers of Devon', though other sources just list it as being in Lifton Hundred), the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the Dartmoor area.