St James is a Chapel of Ease situated in the heart of Okehampton town. It is an ecumenical chapel and belongs to the Town of Okehampton. It was restored by Ashworth in 1862 and is built of medieval granite. There is Tudor and 18th century woodwork, with a reader's desk and a pulpit dated 1662. Google with the Archive Organization has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. The Internet Archive makes available, in its Community Texts Collection (originally known as Open Source Books), books that have been digitised by Google from a number of libraries. These are books on which copyright has expired, and are available free for educational and research use. This rare book was produced from a copy held by the New York Public Library, and is available from the Internet Archive.