The booklet resulted from a lecture delivered by the author at the Ottery St Mary Church Institute in September, 1897. The author asserts that at the request of his friends, he has in the book, provided a copy of the lecture exactly as he gave it. The lecture seems to have been for local consumption. The place-name 'Ottery St Mary' is first attested in the 1086 Domesday Book, where it appears as 'Otri' and 'Otrei'. 'Oteri Sancte Marie' is first mentioned in 1242. The town takes its name from the River Otter on which it stands, the river taking its name from the animal. The 'St Mary' element refers to the fact that the town belonged to the church of St Mary in Rouen in 1086, This rare and much sought-after book was produced digitally by Google from a copy in the University of California Library collection and can be downloaded from HathiTrust. Google has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. These books, on which copyright has expired are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers.