Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Parkham 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

PARKHAM

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]

"PARKHAM, a parish in the hundred of Shebbear, county Devon, 6 miles S.W. of Bideford, its railway station and post town. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the small river Yeo. It is bounded on the N. by Barnstaple Bay and the Bristol Channel. The parish comprises broad Parkham, Goldworthy, and 6 other limits. The soil is various, and includes about 4,000 acres of beach, the sand of which is used as manure. It has an extensive view, embracing the Welsh coast, Lundy Island, and Bideford Bar. Lime is extensively burned. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £635. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing six bells. It has several stained windows, and has recently been restored. There is a free school for both sexes, with a small endowment. The Bible Christians and Wesleyans have each a place of worship. The trustees of the late Lord Rolle are the lords of the manor. A cherry fair is held on Milbury-Moor."

"ASH, a hamlet in the parish of Parkham, hundred of Shebbear, in the county of Devon, 6 miles from Torrington."

"BROAD PARKHAM, a hamlet in the parish of Parkham, hundred of Shebbear, in the county of Devon, 6 miles to the S.W. of Bideford, It is not far from the coast of Barnstaple Bay."

"BUCKISH MILLS, a hamlet partly in the parish of Parkham and hundred of Shebbear, and partly in the parish of Woolfardisworthy and hundred of Witheridge, in the county of Devon, 7 miles to the S.W. of Bideford. It is seated on the S. coast of Bideford Bay."

"GOLDWORTHY, a hamlet in the parish of Parkham, hundred of Shebbear, county Devon, 6 miles N.W. of Bideford. This was the birthplace of the poet Gay."

"HORNS CROSS, a hamlet in the parish of Parkham, county Devon, 6 miles S.W. of Bideford."

"NEWHAVEN, a hamlet in the parish of Parkham, county Devon, 6 miles S.W. of Bideford."

"PEPPERCOMB, a hamlet in the parish of Parkham, county Devon, 6 miles S.W. of Bideford."

Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003