Open a form to report problems or contribute information
A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
PARKHAM, a parish in the hundred of SHEBBEAR, county of DEVON, 6½ miles (S. W.) from Bideford, containing 967 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £20. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Rev. Dr. Woodcock. The church, dedicated to St. James, has an enriched Norman door. A school is supported by the united bequests of John Levering, in 1671, and Wear Giffard. Bableigh, in this parish, was long held by the family of Risdon, of which the county historian was a member.