[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"PARACOMBE, a parish in the hundred of Sherwill, county Devon, 5 miles S.W. of Lynton, and 10 N.E. of Barnstaple, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated among the hills, and on the high road from Lynton to Barnstaple. The parish, which comprises the hamlets of Paracombe, Mill, Heale, and Rowley, is wholly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £240, and the glebe comprises 56 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £259. The church is an ancient stone edifice with a tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. L. St. Albyn, Esq., is lord of the manor. There are vestiges of an ancient fortification."