[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"PAYHEMBURY, (or Pehembury), a parish in the hundred of Hayridge, county Devon, 4 miles S. of Ottery, its post town, and 5½ W. of Honiton. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near Hembury Fort, and is wholly agricultural. The prospect from the Roman encampment of Hembury Fort is extensive. The soil is of a sandy nature. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £150, and the vicarial for £137; the glebe comprises 81 acres. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £186. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing six bells. The interior of the church contains a screen and several monuments and brasses. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. J. Venn, Esq., is lord of the manor. At Leyhill is an old mansion with a chapel.