From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
PINHOE, a pleasant village and parish, 2½ miles N.E. of Exeter, contains 568 souls, and about 1930 acres of land, generally fertile, and rising in bold undulations. On Beacon Hill, a commanding eminence near the village, are several neat houses. In 1001, King Ethelred's army was defeated here, with great slaughter, by the Danes, who burnt Pinhoe, Broad-Clist, and other neighbouring villages. The manor was part of the royal demense, and is described in Domesday Book as containing the vills or farms of Monkerton, Pinpound, Langaton, Herrington, and Wotton. It was successively held by the Vallibus, Multon, Strech, Cheney, Walgrave, Elwill, and other families. Lord Paltimore is now lord of the manor; but a great part of the soil belongs to Sir Frederick H.H. Bathhurst, Lee Hanning Lee, Esq., the Rev. W.H. Arundell, and a few smaller owners, mostly freeholders. The Church (St. Michael,) is an antique stone fabric, with an embattled tower, and four bells. The nave and chancel are separated by an old carved oak screen; and in the churchyard, opposite the porch, is a huge stone cross, on a pedestal. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £14. 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £227, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. John Bradford, M.A., who has a neat brick residence, on an eminence commanding a fine prospect of the surrounding country. The glebe is only one acre, and the vicarial tithes were commuted, in 1836, for £265 per annum. The Misses Arundell are lessees of the rectorial tithes, under the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. John Reynolds, a learned divine, and successful writer against the Roman Catholics, was born here about 1546. In 1655, £175 was given by Grace Bampfield, and other donors, and was laid out in the purchase of a house and 13 acres of land, at Broad Clist, now let for about £26 a year. Five-ninths of the rent of this estate belong to the poor of Pinhoe and the rest to the poor of Stoke-Canon and Thorverton parishes. The poor of Pinhoe have £6 a year as the rent of two acres of land, left by Humphrey Wilcocks, in 1686; and £6. 18s. a year from £230. 8s. three per cent. consols, purchased with £180, left by John Land, in 1817. They have also two yearly rent-charges, viz., 30s. left by John Sanders, in 1720; and 40s., left by Sir John Elwill.
Bradford Rev John, M.A., Vicarage
Deacon Capt Hy. Chas., Beacon Hill
Morgan Miss Chtte.
Stewart Mrs R.
Osborne Rev Peter Mann, M.A.
Shirreff Ciifford Esq, Beacon Hill
Rogers Thomas, blacksmith
Warren John, baker, &c
Heart of Oak, Robt. Kitt, (joiner)
Old Black Horse, Mary Lympaney
Poltimore Arms, Charles Walters
BOOT & SHOE MKS.
Ashford John Reynolds
Batten Rt. butcher
Bradford T. jun.
Greenway Jas. R., Stoke Hill
Pidsley Mrs R.
Brian Randell, 3 Jul 1998