[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"CHARLES-THE-MARTYR, a parish in the hundred of Roborough, and borough of Plymouth, in the county of Devon. It adjoins Plymouth, and contains the tything of Compton-Gifford."
"COMPTON GIFFORD, a tything in the parish of Charles-the-Martyr, in the hundred of Roborough, in the county of Devon, 1½ mile from Plymouth. It formerly belonged to the Giffords, but now to the Earl of Morley. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Charles-the-Martyr, in the diocese of Exeter, in the patronage of the executors of the late Sir C. Bishop, Bart."