"PUDDINGTON, or Podington, a small village, on an eminence near the source of the river Creedy, 7 miles N. of Crediton, and 8 miles W. by S. of Tiverton, has in its parish 212 souls, and 1361A. of land. the manor belonged at an early period to the Sackvilles, and afterwards to the Walronds. it now belongs, with most of the soil, to C.N. Welman, Esq., of Puddington Lodge, a neat thatched residence in the Italian style, on a commanding eminence. The Church (St. Thomas a Beckett,) has a tower and three bells, and has been mostly rebuilt - the north aisle in 1838, and the nave and chancel in 1848. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £6. 8s. 1½d, and in 1831 at £136, is in the patronage of C.N. Welman, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. David Llewellyn, who has a good residence on a lofty eminence, commanding beautiful prospects, extending to the two coasts of Devon. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Witheridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.