[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"PUDDINGTON, (or Podington), a parish in the hundred of Witheridge, county Devon, 7 miles N. by W. of Crediton, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Tiverton. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the river Credy, and is chiefly agricultural. The soil consists of loam upon a subsoil of clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £131, and there are 81 acres of glebe. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £136. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, or St. Thomas-a-Becket, is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing three bells. The Presbyterians have a place of worship. The landowners are lords of the manor.