"PYWORTHY is a village and parish, 2½ miles south-west from Holsworthy terminal station of a branch of the London and South Western railway, in the Southern division of the county, Black Torrington hundred, Holsworthy union and county court district, rural deanery of Holsworthy, archdeaconry of Barnstaple and diocese of Exeter. The church of St. Swithin is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style . . . there are 300 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1653; marriages, 1681; burials, 1682. . . . The chief crops are wheat, oats and roots. The area is 5,688 of land and 12 of water; rateable value, £2,509; the population in 1901 was 455." [From: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1902]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.