"RACKENFORD, a parish in the hundred of Witheridge, county Devon, 8 miles N.W. of Tiverton, its post town, and 10 S.E. of South Molton. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the Little Dart river. It was formerly a market town under a charter granted in 1235. The soil is of a clayey but productive nature, with a subsoil of gravel. Stone is quarried for building. The glebe comprises 48 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £311. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing five bells. The interior of the church contains several monuments. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. There is an endowed National school for both sexes, also a place of worship for the Bible Christians. Crewshay House is the principal residence. Charles Devon, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner, by whom courts leet and baron are held annually. A fair for the sale of sheep and cattle is held on the 8th July."