Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Revelstoke 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

REVELSTOKE

Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

REVELSTOKE parish has its church on the sea coast, near Stoke Point and Bigbury Bay, but most of its inhabitants are in the large fishing village of NOSS MAYO, which lies in a low situation, on the south side of a creek from the mouth of the Yealm, opposite Newton Ferrers, nine miles S.E. of Plymouth. Crabs, lobsters, herrings, and other fish are caught at Noss Mayo, where the villagers suffered severely from cholera in 1849, when about 50 of them died, and more than 200 were afflicted with the dreadful malady. Liberal subscriptions were made for the relief of the sufferers, and a medical gentleman was sent down from London to their assistance. The parish had 613 inhabitants in 1841, and contains 1470A. 2R. 19P. of land. The manor of Revelstoke was long the property and seat of the Revells, and was sold about 12 years ago, by Sir J. Perring, to its present owner, Robert Robertson, Esq., of Membland. W. W. Pendarves, Esq., owns the manor of Lambside, and part of the parish belongs to a few smaller owners. The Church is an ancient structure, with a belfry and two bells; and in Noss Mayo, is a small Chaple of Ease, erected in 1839. The benefice is a perpetual curacy, consolidated with the vicarage of Yealmpton. Here is 4A. 3R. 37P. of glebe, but no parsonage. The tithes have been commuted, the vicarial for £116, and the rectorial for £140 per annum. The trustees of the late Rev. J. Kenrick are lessees of the latter. The poor have a house and garden purchased with £20, left by Sir Wm. Hele, in 1625, and other benefaction money.

DIRECTORY

In Noss Mayo, or as specified.

Boden Mrs Sar.
Carter John, blacksmith
Elliott Sarah, beer seller
Giles Sampson, R.N.
Kingcombe Hy. ferryman & cider dlr. Passage House
Kingcombe Geo. vict. Globe Inn
Leonard John, tailor
Merrill Wm. vict., Swan Inn
Pope John, carpenter, &c

FARMERS.

Antony Jane, Rowden
Brooking Wm., Revelstoke
Crocker Henry, Coombe
Huxham George, Netton
Tuckett Jas. Higher Coombe
Wilcock John & Ann, Worswell

BAKERS.

Popham Humpy.
Kingcombe Jsh.

BOOT & SHOEMKS.

Bunker Richard
Reeves Fredk.
Sims Wm.

SHOPKEEPERS.

Perrett Phpi.
Walke Andrew
Williams John