"REWE is a parish and village on the river Culm, 1 mile north-east from Stoke Canon station on the main line of the Great Western railway, 5 north from Exeter and 9 south from Tiverton, in the North Eastern division of the county, Wonford hundred and petty sessional division, St. Thomas union, Exeter county court district, rural deanery of Aylesbeare and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter.The Upexe and Silverton station of the Exe Valley (Great Western) railway is in this parish. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an ancient edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, built about the year 1450. . . the east window is a memorial to Lieut. C. H. Williams, of H.M. 39th Regt. who died at Jubbulpore, June 8th, 1881, and there are others to the Rev. Henry Fox Strangeways, late rector, d. Feb. 25th, 1860; the Cuthbertson family (1868), Mrs. Haviland (1878) and to the late Rev. Philip Williams M.A. rector of this parish 1860-92, besides several tablets to the Tripp family 1795-1825 and a monument to Paul Draper, ob. Sept. 20th, 1689: the church was further restored in 1888, and affords 120 sittings. . . . The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,310 acres of land and 25 of water; rateable value, £3,266; the population in 1901 was 237. . . . UPEXE is a tithing and hamlet, in Hayridge hundred, 2 ½ miles north-west, with a station on the Exe Valley branch of the Great Western railway. The ancient chapel, which had for several generations been desecrated and converted into dwellings, was acquired from the owner, the late C. A. W. Troyte esq. and in 1888 was restored. . . . There is also at Upexe another ancient chapel, which was restored about 1901, and is served by the rector of Rewe." [From: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1902]
"UP-EXE, a tything in that part of the parish of REWE which is in the hundred of HAYRIDGE, county of DEVON, 6 miles (S. W. by W.) from Cullompton, containing 92 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
A parish in Wonford Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.