"ROBOROUGH, 5½ miles E. by S. of Torrington, has in its parish 588 souls, and about 3000 acres of land, including the hamlet of Ebberley, and a number of scattered farms. Henry Hole, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil, and resides at Ebberley House. The Trustees of the late Lord Rolle own Owlacombe, and several smaller proprietors have estates in the parish. The Church (St. Peter,) has a tower and six bells, and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £10. 9s. 8d., and in 1831 at £244. The Bishop of Exeter is patron, and the Rev. W.W. Gurney is the incumbent, and has 60A. of glebe, and a handsome residence, in the Elizabethan style, erected some years ago, at the cost of about £1500. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Fremington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.