A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
SALCOMBE (REGIS), a parish in the eastern division of the hundred of BUDLEIGH, county of DEVON, 2 miles (E. N. E.) from Sidmouth, containing 436 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £14. 12. 8., endowed with £1000 royal bounty. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Mary. There was formerly a chapel, dedicated to St. Clement and St. Mary Magdalene. The parish is bounded on the south by the English channel, and was anciently held in royal demesne. Courts leet and baron are occasionally held. Gypsum and chalk for lime are obtained here.