Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Shaldon 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

SHALDON

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

ST. NICHOLAS' PARISH includes the large village of SHALDON, and most of the adjacent village of RINGMORE, on the south side of the mouth of the river Teign, opposite the sea port and bathing place of Teignmouth, 5½ miles E. of Newton-Abbot and Bushell. It comprises only 580 acres, but had 1175 inhabitants in 1841, including 538 in Shaldon hamlet, which has since greatly increased in population and buildings. The church stands in Ringmore, which is partly in the parish of Stokeinteignhead. St. Nicholas's parish has now about 1500 inhabitants, most of whom are in SHALDON, a handsome village and bathing place, picturesquely seated on the coast of the English channel, opposite Teignmouth, and partly under the lofty promontory of bold red rocks, called the Ness. Shaldon is connected with Teignmouth by a ferry, and also by the longest Bridge in England, which crosses the Teign by 35 arches, and is 1671 feet in length. (See Teignmouth.) Having a fine beach and much romantic scenery in its vicinity, it has become a favourite sea bathing place, during the last twenty years, in which many neat and tasteful houses, &c., have been erected on the Green, on the Marine terrace, in Clifford place, and in Bridge street, as well as in the pleasant suburb of Ringmore. It has been much improved during the last five years, and has now many neat villas, and commodious lodging-houses; a small National School, a Baptist Chapel, built in 1815; and an Independent Chapel, erected in 1825. St. Nicholas' Church, from which the parish has its name, was rebuilt by the Carew family about 180 years ago, and stands in a picturesque situation, overlooking the estuary of the Teign, about half a mile W. of Shaldon. It is a small plastered building, with a tower containing one bell, and crowned by a short wooden spire. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £8, and in 1831 at £128, is in the patronage of Lord Clifford, and incumbency of the Rev. R. Hutton, B.A. It has been augmented with Queen Anne's Bounty, and is said to have been formerly annexed to Haccombe. The manor, which was parcel of the barony of Okehampton, was held during many generations by the Carews, who sold it in 1671, to Lord Treasurer Clifford, an ancestor of Lord Clifford, the present owner, The poor parishioners have 10s. a year out of the parish rates, as interest of £10 left by Thomas Mudge, at an early period.

ST. NICHOLAS'S PARISH.
Those marked * are in RINGMORE, and the others in SHALDON.
POST-OFFICE at Andrew Denley's.
Letters arrive 8 mng. and desp. 6 evening, via Teignmouth
Adams Mr Hy.
Bartlett Mrs & Miss
Amery Thomas, farmer
Atcherley Rowland, M.D.
* Bere Mrs
Bartlett Mr Nicholas Adams
* Bennett Mrs My.
Bulley Miss
* Boden Wm. merchant, & Robt. gent
Bradford Robert, merchant
Brokensha Lieut. Saml., R.N. & Miss
Bulley Edward, boat builder
* Burton Hy. gent.
Chandler Mrs E.
Chasty Chas. Heard, watch maker
Clapp Mr Gilbert
Cook Mrs Ann
* Collins James, gent.
* Copp Mrs Grace
Coryton Capt. Hy., R.N. Platway
Davis Mrs Hanh.
Crook Mr Wm.
Douglas Jno. Esq. Lower Platway Hs
Drew Wm. gent
Down Mr John
Farley Daniel, cooper
Fox Wm. gent.
Hall Mrs Jane
Good Hy. draper & spirit merchant
Gray Capt. Edward Evans, R.N.
Hall Mr Chas.
Haswell Mrs Ann
Hannaford Mr Geo., and Mr Peter
Harvey Mr John, and Mr Stephen
Heaviside James, gent. Platway Hs
Hele John Carrol, merchant
Holmes Wm. Henry, Clifford House
Hook Samuel, ship and boat builder
Howard Mrs Marian
Lawton Mr Geo.
* Hutton Rev Rufus, B.A. rector
James William, painter, &c.
Lavis Richd. cabinet mkr. & upholstr
MacDougall Major Peter
* Noble Mrs
Nosworthy Thos. cabinet maker, &c.
O'Reilly Lieut. John, The Den
* Owen Mrs Thos.
Parker Mr Geo. Hy.
Parsons Robt. White, coal merchant
Pollard John, coal merchant
Pratt Thos. chemist and druggist
Redway Wm. rope maker and beerhs
* Rendle John, merchant
Rendle Miss E.
Richardson Lieut. Thomas L., R.A.
Rowe Mr Wm.
Satterley Mrs Eliz.
Sanders Mr Wm.
Stevens Mr Robt.
Small Wm. Charles, surgeon
* Stevenson Major Ed.
Sullock Miss A.
* Sweeting Misses Margaret, & Selina
Travers Rev Chas. Henry, curate
Tuffnel Hon. Lady, The Beach
Wane Mr Richd.
Tucker Mrs Hannah
Warren Jph. tinner and ironmonger
White Mr Thomas, Sea View House
Wills Thos. farmer, Triangle Green
Wreford Rev Wm., Indpt. minister

INNS AND TAVERNS.
Adelaide Inn, John Townsend
Crown and Anchor, Robert Square
London Inn, Uriah Widdicombe

ACADEMIES. (! Boarding.)
Beal Harriet
Cleave Wm. & Mrs
! Hallaham Mary
! Pridham Jno. W. Teignbridge Hs

BAKERS.
Anning Richard
Cade Mary
Churchward Wm.
Elson Wm.
Full Joseph

BLACKSMITHS.
Churchward John
Short Benjamin

BOOT & SHOEMRS.
* Alward Samuel
Coysh Richard
Devonshire Robt.
Hoare James
Owen John
White John
Winsborrow Ths.

BUTCHERS.
White Gains
Wills Frdk. Thos.

JOINERS & BLDRS.
Bulley Abraham
Bulley Wm.
Prideaux Wm.

MASTER MARINERS.
Coysh John
Gowin Stephen
Harris Thomas
Hoskin Valentine
Lavis Robert
* Matthews Stpn.
Nicholls Wm.
Parker Wm.
Sanders Samuel
Sanders Thomas
* Stoggins Thos.
Whitway Chas.

MASONS & BLDRS.
Coulman Chas.
Madge Richard
Madge Thomas
Nicholls Wm.
Windeatt Geo.
Windeatt Wm.

MlLLINERS.
Coysh Mrs J.
Lear Mary
Pridham Eliz.
Stevens Misses
Stoggins Mary

SHOPKEEPERS.
Harvey Charlotte
Morrish Sally
Murch Elizabeth
Strange Eliz.
Tucker Edw. (& horse letter)
Whiteway Jane

TAILORS.
Bovey Wm.
Hammond Wm. C.
Toms John

Brian Randell, 3 Jul 1998