Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
SHALDON. St. Nicholas. The church, which was rebuilt about the middle of the 13th century, and again in 1622 by the Carew family, consists of chancel, nave, south porch and bell turret with one bell. In the chancel there is a piscina; the font [plate 200] is of red sandstone, oval shaped, and very old; it has been claimed as Saxon, but there is nothing to show to what period it belongs. For many years it had been in the churchyard, and was restored by Henry Lowther Chermside and Josephine his wife in 1881.