Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Shaugh Prior 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

SHAUGH PRIOR

Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

SHAUGH PRIOR is a large parish of scattered farm houses, &c., in the valley of the river Plym, and among the hills and dales at the south end of Dartmouth(sic) Forest, extending from 7 to 10 miles N.N.E. of Plymouth. Near Shaugh Bridge, on the Plym, the Dewerstone rock rears its beetling crags in majestic altitude above the channel of the Cad rivulet; and in the vicinity are other granite tors. This neighbourhood is often visited by anglers and the lovers of picturesque scenery. Revels are held here at Easter and Whitsuntide. Th parish contains souls 698 souls and 7170 acres of land. Excellent clay is got here for the china manufacturers. Sir R. Lopes, Bart. is lord of the manor, which formerly belonged to Plympton Priory. The Earl of Morley, the Rev. S. W. Pearse, and other proprietors have estates in this parish. The Church is an ancient fabric in the perpendicular style, with a tower and six bells. The perpetual curacy, valued at £107, is annexed to that of Sampford-Spiney, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, and the incumbency of the Rev. S. W. Pearse, B.A., for whom the Rev. Hy. Colson, of the Tavistock, officiates. The patrons are appropriators of the great tithes. The parish land (6A.) and a house, were purchased in 1627 with £23 left by 35 donors. The land is let for £10, and the house was converted into the parish workhouse about 1717, at the cost of £100. Lady Modyford left £50 to this parish, and directed the interest to be distributed in bread among the poor.

DIRECTORY

Brock Wm., blacksmith
Mumford Wm., corn miller
Phillips John and Wm., potters' clay merchants

FARMERS.

Abbott John, Harscombe
Andrew Wm., Henswood
Andrew Walter, Colstone
Atwill Wm.
Baskerweale Wm.
Brock Wm.
Cole Samuel
Damerell Edward, Fawnstone
Damerell John, Brixton
Damerell Thomas
Dennis Wm., Higher Colland
Gray Richard
Gullett Elizabeth
Lavis John
Lillicrap Thomas and Margaret
Luscombe Phillip
Maddock Em.
Maddock Jas.
Maddock Saml.
Mallicott John
Marshall Philip, Colland
Mead Robert
Mumford James
Mumford Thos.
Pearse Nichls.
Perkins Edward
Selleck George
Stephens Robert
Tozer Thomas
Worth John